Saturday, September 10, 2005

An open letter to Senate Democrats

I am not sure where the original of this is located, so I am regrettably unable to provide a link. However, this sums things up pretty well, with respect to the Democratic Party's snivelling cowardice:
Posted to Mark Crispin Miller's mailing list:

An Open Letter to Senate Democrats

September 8, 2005

The most costly natural disaster in our country's history will play out in the political arena for years to come. We've already seen how the Bush administration intends to deal with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina: blame the Democrats, blame the victims, keep the media from showing any more bodies and muddle through until the heat is off. Perhaps FEMA Director Michael Brown will get the sack, but no one else will pay a price.

This is totally unacceptable. I expect accountability and I expect you to deliver it.

I've been a Democrat for 40 years, served my country in the Navy and pay my taxes. I have watched you let my party and my country down time after time.

In 2001, not one of you stood with the delegation of Black House members pleading for justice in the rigged 2000 Presidential election in Florida. Not one.

Following the attacks of 9/11, only one of you voted against the Patriot Act, a piece of pernicious legislation with chilling, and predictably awful implications for our Constitutional freedoms.

I've watched you vote in favor of a costly and brutal war based on lies. I've watched as Bush steamrolled you with tax cuts for the rich; with prescription drug reform that benefits the pharmaceutical industry; with bankruptcy reform geared toward the wishes of the banking industry; with energy legislation that does nothing about our long-term needs.

In short, I've watch Bush and the Republicans walk all over you. I'm sick of it. In the aftermath of Katrina, you have your last chance to stand up and do the right thing - to stand up and say, "Enough. No more."

No more tax cuts, no more corporate welfare, no more no-bid deals. It's time for accountability. The Bush administration is the most corrupt, venal and immoral government we've had in my lifetime. If you do not hold them accountable at long last for their perfidy, I am through with you.

It may not seem like much of a threat; I am a contributor, though not a wealthy man. But I represent something much more important: your base. And if you allow Bush and his pals to get away with their utterly appalling neglect of our citizens and our security, I will leave the Democratic Party and I will make a point of taking everyone I can with me.

Do your damned job. Serve the American people.

Rodger French
That one Senate Democrat to vote against the Patriot Act was my own Senator, Russ Feingold, the only elected official with whom I've ever been more than 90% satisfied. His sole mistake, as far as I know, was approving the nomination of John Ashcroft. I'm sure there have been one or two other things, as well, but that's not bad at all, considering he is now in his third term.

In any case, props to Andrea L. at Drive We Said for locating the above letter and posting it there.

One interesting thing that was pointed out elsewhere on that forum is that, if this had happened in Canada, it would be fairly easy to dispose of the entire government. Whereas, in the United Fucking States, the best we could hope for would probably be to get rid of Dubya, in which case we'd be stuck with Dick Cheney as President. And if we also got rid of him, then we'd be stuck with Dennis Hastert. There is no way, under the United States Constitution, to legally deal with this level of incompetance and corruption in the government. This, my friends, is why the 2nd Amendment was drafted. Although, quite honestly, I'd like to see the system work the way it's supposed to work, so the people of America don't have to resort to more drastic measures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home